- Daily read-outs from Conference Secretary-General
- UN Media Advisory & Logistics for Rio+20
- Media advisory in French
- Media Accreditation
- Preliminary Information note
- Briefing on logistics by the Government of Brazil
- UN System Media Contacts
- Logo & Guidelines
- A ONU Brasil na Rio+20
Hotels for Press
Accommodation levels in Rio de Janeiro are anticipated to be at full occupancy during the conference. While it is not the responsibility of the United Nations to procure accommodation for the media, it should be noted that the Brazilian national organizing committee for Rio+20 has committed to blocking a minimum of 500 hotel rooms in Rio de Janeiro for media covering the conference. Costs must be covered by the media. For more details, visit: http://www.rio20.gov.br For information regarding room availability please contact: Terramar Travel Agency Emails: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: (+55+21) 35120067 or (+55+11) 30142042 or (+55+19) 35145600 Media representatives must present their approval letter and copy email@example.com when requesting their accommodations.
- 16 Mar 2012 - Secretary-General, Presenting Report of Global Sustainability Panel to General Assembly, Urges Unity in Creating ?Future We Want?
?We need everyone to work together to create the future we want,? United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said today, urging the world body to rally behind the recommendations of his blue ribbon panel for launching a new, people-powered agenda for development which would eradicate poverty and promote inclusive growth, while protecting the environment and making consumption and production patterns more sustainable.
Presenting the final report of his High-level Panel on Global Sustainability to an informal meeting of the General Assembly, the Secretary-General said the Panel?s vision also included reducing inequality while combating climate change and ensuring respect for a range of other planetary boundaries. Its 56 recommendations fell under three main headings: empowering people to make sustainable choices; working towards a sustainable economy; and strengthening institutional governance.
- 22 Dec 2011 - Effects of Global Crises on Poor Countries, Sustainable Development Conference Feature as General Assembly Considers Reports of Second Committee
The developing world?s vulnerability to the prevailing multiple global crises and preparations for the June 2012 United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development were prominent among the concerns of the Second Committee (Economic and Financial) as the 42 draft resolutions and 4 draft decisions it had recommended for action by the General Assembly were adopted today.
- 2 Jun 2011 - ?Greening? World?s Economies Debated as Viable Pathway to Development Destination, as General Assembly Considers Shortcomings of Prevailing Growth Models
Deputy Secretary-General Says Adjustments Will Not Be Easy, but Will Pay Off
In Long Term; Assembly President Says ?We Can No Longer Afford to Wait to Act?
United Nations Deputy Secretary-General Asha-Rose Migiro this morning made a strong call for creating a global green economy characterized by abundant jobs, sustainable livelihoods, dynamic economic growth and clean energy.
Kicking off a day-long informal General Assembly thematic debate on ?Green economy: a pathway to sustainable development?, Ms. Migiro said the green economy also must address the menaces caused by climate change, notably food and energy insecurity and deforestation.
The debate, which aimed to guide next year?s United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development, known as ?Rio+20?, featured a morning panel discussion on the characteristics of the green economy and its potential for achieving sustainable development, and an afternoon discussion on approaches to create such an economy.
- 8 Mar 2011 - Preparatory Committee for United Nations Conference on Sustainable Developments Concludes by Adopting Decision Outlining Contents, Format of Outcome Document
To deliver on the singular promise of sustainable development and the gains made over the past 20 years in defining its three-pillared approach ? linking economic development, social development, and environmental protection ? the 2012 United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development must shift the discussion from function to form, especially within the United Nations system, the Preparatory Committee for that meeting heard today as it concluded its second session.
- 8 Mar 2011 - Press Conference on Preparations for 2012 United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development
The United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development, to be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, next June, would give the international community a unique opportunity to build a global economic development model aimed at improving people?s lives and ensuring social equity while reducing environmental risks and ecological scarcity, the event?s Secretary-General said today.
- 7 Mar 2011 - COMITÉ PRÉPARATOIRE DE « RIO+20 »: LES DÉLÉGATIONS DÉBATTENT DU CONCEPT D?ÉCONOMIE VERTE, SOURCE DE DÉVELOPPEMENT DURABLE ET D?ÉLIMINATION DE LA PAUVRETÉ
Le Comité préparatoire de la Conférence des Nations Unies sur le développement durable (Conférence Rio+20), qui se tiendra en 2012 dans la ville de Rio de Janeiro, au Brésil, a entamé, ce matin, une réunion préparatoire de deux jours pour débattre des objectifs de la Conférence.
- 4 Mar 2011 - Press Conference on Preparations for 2012 United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development
As delegates geared up for next year?s United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development to be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, the Secretary-General of that event called on them today to use that gathering to take collective action to save societies from mounting social tensions, ecological damage and the global economic crisis.
- 4 Mar 2011 - United Nations Hopes Rio 2012 Can Chart New Pathways to Green, Low-Carbon Economy as Preparatory Committee Meets at Headquarters, 7-8 March
Under-Secretary-General Sha Zukang called today for collective action to address rising social tensions, ecological pressures and economic crisis, as representatives from around the world gather to prepare for the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development, scheduled to take place in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in June 2012, with a preparatory meeting in New York on 7-8 March.
- 1 Mar 2011 - Reaching the Unreachable, Securing Sustainable Development?s Promises Can Reverse Maternal Mortality Trends, Integrate Women in Green Economy, Commission Told
Amid the ongoing tragedy of maternal mortality and morbidity, reaching the unreachable must be the goal of strategies to improve maternal health care, while securing the promises of sustainable development required that poor women be ?dealt in? to a green economy, the Commission on the Status of Women heard today.
- 28 Feb 2011 - Fragile, Uneven Global Recovery Threatens Progress, Under-Secretary-General Tells Commission on Sustainable Development
The challenges presented by a fragile and uneven global economic recovery continued to threaten progress towards sustainable development, Sha Zukang, Under-Secretary-General for Economic and Social Affairs, told the Commission on Sustainable Development today.