Press Materials for the 1st Preparatory Meeting
- 20 May 2010 - Press Conference on Outcome of First Session of Preparatory Committee for United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development
The first Preparatory Committee in the run-up to the 2012 United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development, known as ?Rio + 20?, had decided at its conclusion last night to hold intersessional consultations, since the eight days originally allocated for preparatory meetings would not be enough, Committee Co-Chair John Ashe (Antigua and Barbuda) said at Headquarters today.
- 19 May 2010 - Preparatory Committee for 2012 Sustainable Development Conference
The first in a series of preparatory sessions leading to a follow-up in 2012 to the historic Rio de Janeiro Earth Summit of 1992 concluded today, following three days in which delegations strove to rekindle the spirit of Rio and shore up the foundation on which sustainable development had gained traction around the world.
- 18 May 2010 - States Not Yet Agreed on Scope, Benefits, Risks, Costs of ?Green Economy?, Say Speakers as Preparatory Meeting for ?Rio + 20? Continues
Focusing their second day of talks on two themes identified by the General Assembly for discussion in 2012 ? a green economy in the context of sustainable development and poverty eradication, and the institutional framework for sustainable development ? participants at the first Preparatory Committee meeting for the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development urged that new concepts not sideline already agreed sustainable development platforms.
- 17 May 2010 - 2012 Rio Conference Not Earth Summit Commemorative Event; Rather, Aims to Renew Political Commitment to Sustainable Development, Preparatory Committee Told
Against the still elusive implementation of the 1992 Earth Summit?s groundbreaking ?Agenda 21?, delegations began a three-day session in New York today ? the first in a series of preparatory meetings for the 20-year follow-on Conference in 2012 ? hoping to rally renewed political will to meet the challenge of balancing economic growth and human progress with environmental sustainability.
- 17 May 2010 - Preparations begin for 20-year review of landmark UN environment conference
As preparations kicked off today in New York for a global summit to review progress since the historic United Nations environment conference held in Rio de Janeiro nearly 20 years ago, a senior official stressed the need for greater efforts to achieve sustainable development.
- 17 May 2010 - Countries Start Preparations for Rio + 20: Holistic Response Could Still Achieve Vision Set at Historic Earth Summit
Countries will open negotiations today on the road back to Rio, where, in 1992, countries agreed on the landmark Agenda 21, the blueprint for sustainable development. In 2012, countries will meet again in Rio de Janeiro to determine the next steps for achieving sustainable development ? to manage and protect the ecosystem and bring about a more prosperous future for everyone.