- Partnership scope: Regional
- Date start: 28 Aug 2007
- More information: www.ecosystemassessments.net
Partnership implemented in
There are currently 66 sub-global assessments from around the globe registered as part of the network.
Sub-Global Assessment Network
Partners• UNEP World Conservation Monitoring Centre (UNEP-WCMC) UK
• The Cropper Foundation, Trinidad
Financial support provided from the European Commission (EC), the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA) and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).
Partnership Overview | ObjectivesThe Sub-Global Assessment (SGA) Network seeks to create a common platform for practitioners (individuals and organizations) involved in ecosystem assessment at the sub-global levels (regional, sub-regional, national and sub-national) with the intention of:
1. Building capacity to undertake and use assessments. This will be achieved by:
• Offering opportunities for training in specific tools and approaches related to ecosystem assessments (e.g. training workshops on valuation, scenarios, mainstreaming etc.);
• Capturing, synthesizing and disseminating examples of best practices and lessons learnt in undertaking ecosystem assessments;
• Developing e-learning tools which are of interest to ecosystem assessment practitioners;
• Encouraging and supporting ongoing exchanges between and amongst SGAs, either through virtual or face-to-face means (e.g. sharing of expertise);
• Establishing and maintaining a website devoted to the SGA Network which will allow access to relevant materials and information;
• Linking SGAs to the scientific community and to relevant information and data sources which are useful for undertaking ecosystem assessment work.
2. Supporting relevant global processes such as the intergovernmental science-policy platform on biodiversity and ecosystem services (IPBES) and multilateral environmental agreement (MEA) frameworks/conventions through achievement of the objective listed above.