- Partnership scope: Global
- Date start: 1 Jun 2002
- Date end: 1 Dec 2006
- More information: http://www.unep.or.jp/, http://www.iclei.org/
Partnership implemented in
- South Africa
Environmental Management Capacity Building for Local Government
Government Further national governments
ICLEI International Training Centre (ITC) (Germany)
Int¿l Council for Local Envt¿l Initiatives (ICLEI) (Canada)
Potchefstroom Universiteit (South Africa)
FIDIC Int'l Federation of Consulting Engineers (Switzerland)
Thailand Environmental Institute (Thailand)
Regional and national training institutes ()
Other intergovernmental organizations:
South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation ()
Partnership Overview | ObjectivesThe program aims to build capacity at the local government level for implementation / application of Environmental Management Systems (EMS) as effective and strategic tools for improving the (local) environment in order to achieve tangible impacts and improvements through municipal activities.
The partnership comprises a middle- and long-term strategy for motivating, training and supporting local governments to use and implement EMS. The focus is given on making implementation happen. In addition, this program supports good governance, local sustainable development and stakeholder involvement.
* Initiate a global strategy for implementing Environmental Management Systems in local governments.
* Support local governments world-wide to succeed in implementation and application of Environmental Management Systems.
* Set up a global training and guidance program that offers support throughout the entire process of EMS implementation i.e. accompanying measures over a longer period of time ('handhold approach').