- Submitted by: Guyana
- Primary SD area: Sustainable Energy
- Keywords: Energy
- Location: Guyana
- Date of completion: 1 Jan 2000
- More information
Deliverables & Resources
Barbados Declaration – Voluntary Commitment by Guyana
Organization(s) making commitmentGuyana, in partnership with the Governments of Australia, Denmark, New Zealand, Norway, and the United Kingdom, and UNDP.
Achievement of Commitment• Will ensure that reliable energy is provided to all in Guyana within an economically, environmentally and socially sustainable framework; with increasing consideration of renewable energy sources.
• Recognizing the need for urgent action in addressing climate change has crafted a Low Carbon Development Strategy to protect and maintain Guyana’s forests to reduce global carbon emissions and at the same time attract resources for the country to grow and develop.
• Will develop and harness hydropower which will transform the electricity sector by providing about 90% of Guyana’s electricity from renewable energy.
How this will be achieved• Has embarked on a programme to install about 15,000 home solar photovoltaic systems primarily in hinterland communities.
• Continues to encourage the development of renewable energy by removing duties and taxes on renewable energy equipment and energy efficient compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) and light emitting diode (LED) lights.
• Is in the process of conducting energy assessments/audits of public, residential and commercial buildings with the objective of reducing energy consumption and attaining higher levels of energy efficiency.
• Will continue to promote awareness and disseminate information on sustainable energy
|Develop and harness hydropower which will transform the electricity sector by providing about 90% of Guyana’s electricity from renewable energy.||2030|
|Resources devoted to delivery|
|Other, please specify||In partnership with Australia, Denmark, New Zealand, Norway, and UK, and UNDP|