- Submitted by: Institute for Transportation and Development Policy
- Primary SD area: Sustainable Transport
- Keywords: Urban transport, urban design, urban planning, public transport, freight transport, non-motorized transport, travel demand management, avoid/shift strategies, street design
- Location: Chennai, India; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Mexico City, Mexico; Guangzhou, China; other cities worldwide
- Date of completion: 1 Jan 2000
- More information
Deliverables & Resources
Principles for Transport in Urban Life
Organization(s) making commitmentInstitute for Transportation and Development Policy
Achievement of CommitmentThe Principles for Transport in Urban Life will be used to leverage sustainable transportation as a principal driver for sustainable and livable urban development, with the goal of zoning reform in five cities worldwide. Metrics will be finalized that measures how well particular principles are represented in a development.
How this will be achievedThe approach is three-fold:
1) To promote and disseminate best practices to government officials and practitioners on sustainable urban development
2) To use the Principles and the Metrics to influence zoning reform.
3) To provide technical assistance to cities seeking to reform zoning codes to incentivize better development.
We will be working in China, India, Indonesia, Brazil, Argentina, and Mexico to achieve this.
|Metrics for the Principles for Transport in Urban Life||Dec 2013|
|Evaluations of plans in at least five cities using metrics||Dec 2018|
|Resources devoted to delivery|
|Financing (in USD)||50,000|
|Staff / Technical expertise||200,000|