- Submitted by: Higher Education Sustainability Initiative (HESI)
- Primary SD area: Education
- Keywords: education
- Location: Colchester, United Kingdom (The)
- Date of completion: 1 Jan 2000
- More information
Deliverables & Resources
Higher Education Sustainability Initiative - University of Essex
Organization(s) making commitmentUniversity of Essex
Achievement of CommitmentThe University of Essex seeks to establish itself as a university with global impact and an international reputation that is unparalleled for a university of our size, underpinned by our strong regional base. Fundamental to this ambition is a sustainable future based on the efficient use of affordable and reliable resources including energy, water, goods and services. We further support sustainability and social inclusion in terms of our education and research on human rights, the interaction between business and society, as well as global accountability issues
How this will be achievedOur operations need to be environmentally sustainable so we can realise our strategic aims despite vital resources becoming increasingly unaffordable. In response to the global situation the University of Essex pledges to:
1. Reduce absolute direct and indirect greenhouse gas emissions by 43 per cent in CO2 equivalent terms by 2020, from a 2005 baseline.
2. Ensure our environmental performance – from heating our buildings and recycling our waste to encouraging sustainable transport use – is transparently reported on through our Sustainability Strategy Group.
3. Allow staff and students to help improve our environmental performance through our Green Task Force.
4. Encourage smarter environmental thinking to flourish through our Essex Sustainability Institute.
5. Provide practical answers to environmental challenges – such as our Campus Farm which offers our students and staff the opportunity to grow fresh produce or developing our 1.2MW Energy Centre by 2013 to provide sustainable heat and power on our Colchester Campus.
|Campus Farm||31 Dec 1969|
|Essex Sustainability Institute||31 Dec 1969|
|Green Task Force||31 Dec 1969|
|Sustainability Strategy Group||31 Dec 1969|
|Resources devoted to delivery|
|Staff / Technical expertise||Expertise of students and staff dedicated to sustainability|