Climate Sustainability Platform and Supporting Organizations
- Date submitted: 1 Nov 2011
- Stakeholder type: Major Group
- Submission Document: Download
- Additional Document:
A proposal for UNCSD2012 Zero Draft (Input to Compilation Document):
Thematic Area: Green economy in the context of sustainable development and poverty eradication
Submitted by Centre for Environment and Development and behalf of Climate Sustainability PLATFORM
and Supporting Organizations
The proposal for a green economy has lead to division even amongst the environmentally sensitive and conscious
groups and sections. This is due to an unsuccessful attempt to repackage and resell sustainable development. The
new attempt to present a green economy as a tool for sustainable is now looked with suspicion by many needs to
be resolved by the time UNCSD convenes in Rio de Janeiro in 2012. The following is a proposal to help and guide
the process towards creating a more acceptable proposal on the agenda item on ?Green economy in the context of
sustainable development and poverty eradication?
Replacing the Greed Growth Economy - Not to Green Wash the Brown
· The core consideration should be if the Green Economy can replace the greed based economic order and help
us face the challenge of climate change and poverty?
· Any attempt to green wash the brown economy should be halted. Therefore, simply making adjustments to
polluting technologies and wasteful consumerist market instruments should not be considered as part of a
· Creating a monopoly on the green technology to dominate a green growth-based market economy should not
be promoted. All people should have equitable access and capacity to enjoy green, clean and sustainable
technologies within an emerging green economic system.
Not Just a Single Economy! Sustainable Economies!
· The green economic system should not promote a single and monopolistic model of a green technology, green
market, and Intellectual Property Rights dominated economy.
· The green economy should be viewed as a networked system of decentralized, community based, sustainable
economies in a diversity.
· Such a system of sustainable economies should be connecting the rainbow economies across the world and
the core idea is that all economies are made sustainable, not just a monopolistic and dominant global
Foundations of a Sustainable Economic System
· Foundations for sustainable economies based green economic system should be based on a common vision
for an ?equity? based world order.
· Such a system should be committed towards creating ?wellbeing of all?
· Such a system should promote ?sustainable consumption & production patterns?
· Such a system should move from a mere ?efficiency? focus to ?sufficiency? based ?sustainable development?
· Such a system should helps achieve Climate Sustainability which is to eradicate all kind of poverty and threats
to the environment.
· Such a system should not encourage vertical growth for the creation of few rich and a consuming class, but
promote horizontal growth so the wealth is distributed for wellbeing of all.
· Such a system should also need to know define limits to green growth in prosperity.